Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

What's Going On?

Collapse

There are currently 15 users online. 1 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 745 at 07:47 AM on 11-17-2020.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State of the Devils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State of the Devils

This is my assessment of the future for the Devils as it stands one night after losing the Finals.

The financial state of the organization: According to multiple reports, Vanderbeek will clear his debt in with Bankruptcy and according to a CBS Sports story he already has an investor to make the team financially stable for the long term future. An announcement is expected in the coming weeks and will likely end any talk of an “internal salary cap”

Zach Parise: The Devils heart and soul and free agent come July 1. There are reports that he will garner a 10-12 year contract worth about 8-9 million a year. Can the Devils afford it? I hope so but another team will most likely offer the world to him. Keep in mind this is also the last year teams can front load a contract ala Richards with the Rangers. I expect him to sign with either the Red Wings, Wild or Maple Leafs. If LL doesn’t think he can sign him it is vital to trade his negotiating rights prior to July 1 and keep him away from the Rangers. Detroit just did this with Brad Stuart and received a winger and a fourth round pick.

Marty Brodeur: Hes coming back for another year but the real question is who do the Devils bring in as a backup? Do they sign a 40 year old Hedberg again or do they opt for an internal candidate like Keith Kinkaid or Jeff Frazee? Maybe they look outside the organization and bring back a guy like Clemmensen

The unrestricted free agents: The entire 4th line is unrestricted as are Ponikarovsky, Sykora, Salvador and Peter Harrold. I expect Gionta and Cater to be bought back along with Ponikarovsky. They need to start replacing some of the age with youth so I expect Salvador and Sykora to walk.

Next years free agents: Next year is the last year for a bunch of vital players: Elias, Zajac, Zubrus, Clarkson and Zidlicky. I would hope they use this years $ to extend Zajac and Clarkson and let Elias and Zidlicky play out their contracts.

Possible trade assests: If I were the Devils I would look to unload Zubrus and Tallinder and offer Tedenby in a deal. I have no idea what you can get, but Id like to see them pick up someone to try and replace Parise or a top 6 forward.

My best guess at what the Devils will look like next year:

Line 1- Kovalchuk-Zajac-Clarkson
    Line 2- Free Agent/Parise replacement-Henrique-Elias
    Line 3- Ponikoravsky- Josefson- Off season Acquisition
    Line 4- Boulton-Carter-Gionta

Defense- Volchenkov/Zidlicky, Greene/Fayne, Larrson/Urbom or Corrente

Goalies: Brodeur/Kinkaid
    Rest In Peace John P. Cloninger

From what I've read all over the internet, this year's UFA market is thin and a lot of people are saying there will be a ton of deals to be made.

Biggest ? for them has to be in goal. I can't see MB playing anywhere but NJ but they have to try and phase him out. Not sure if he'll be willing to accept that.
    “I would have had to take a pay cut to take the job I was offered,” Francesa said. “If I had done it, I think I would have done well in the NFL, but at the time I decided to stay here.”

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
      From what I've read all over the internet, this year's UFA market is thin and a lot of people are saying there will be a ton of deals to be made.

Biggest ? for them has to be in goal. I can't see MB playing anywhere but NJ but they have to try and phase him out. Not sure if he'll be willing to accept that.
      After Parise and Suter the Free Agent market is garbage. I think there will be a ton of deals at this years draft.

I agree about Brodeur. They have Wedgewood in the minors be hes another 2-3 years away at best. Id love for them to pick up a younger guy who can take over after next year

Comment

I hope Parise tells the Devils he's going to sign with them, then at the day of the signing, he comes out with a Ranger jersey and Sather behind him smoking a cigar and holding a signed contract just so BBAA can say, "NO ZACH! NOT LIKE THIS!"
        “I would have had to take a pay cut to take the job I was offered,” Francesa said. “If I had done it, I think I would have done well in the NFL, but at the time I decided to stay here.”

Comment

Originally posted by JayBee View Post
          I hope Parise tells the Devils he's going to sign with them, then at the day of the signing, he comes out with a Ranger jersey and Sather behind him smoking a cigar and holding a signed contract just so BBAA can say, "NO ZACH! NOT LIKE THIS!"
          NOT LIKE...GOD NO NOT LIKE THIS...IM SICK.....GOD NO NOT LIKE THIS....WE'RE OUTTA TIME!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Bensons Ad Agency View Post
            NOT LIKE...GOD NO NOT LIKE THIS...IM SICK.....GOD NO NOT LIKE THIS....WE'RE OUTTA TIME!!!!

Always out of time, too.

Comment

I think that they'll bring back Salvador on a short term deal (2 years) at around the same salary. Like you, I'd shop Tallinder. I would think Lou would re-sign the whole 4th line. I wouldn't mind having Ponikarovsky (especially) or Sykora back but I could see both being gone.

I hope they re-sign Parise but I doubt it. I see him heading to Detroit with Suter.

Not sure what the hell they'll do in net behind Marty. There are trade options like Bernier on LA but they'll want a ton.
              "Who goes to a ball park to sit in a seat?! Nobody goes in a ball park to sit in a seat!"

Comment

Just saw this...

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
                Parise said he wants to come back and "no way" he signs with Rangers

Hopefully he's a man of his word.
                "Who goes to a ball park to sit in a seat?! Nobody goes in a ball park to sit in a seat!"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AntwanBoldin
                    Why is baseball ?
                    Originally posted by PrettyTony
                    Come meet me montrose in Westchester. I'll bang you.

Comment

they suck

Comment

Do you think they should change their name to appeal to religious groups?

Comment

Working...
                        X